UPSTATE, S.C. – Parents looking for summer camps that will help their children become more confident in their math and science skills may have luck looking at Sylvan Learning Center’s camps in Anderson, Greenville, or Spartanburg this July.
“One of the new aspects of the popular Sylvan summer camps is there will be online sessions, which allow for families traveling or on the go to be able to take part in the sessions remotely,” said Amy Gardner, the franchise owner for Sylvan Learning in the Upstate.
“If you are looking for ways to introduce your child to new and fun experiences, our camps and workshops not only engage the mind, but are designed to have a lasting impact outside the classroom,” Gardner said. “We have great options for school breaks, summer camps and special weekends. We offer a small group environment where your child can bring friends or make new ones.”
The following camps will be offered online in July:
- Online LIVE Writing Camp (gr.4-6): The Online Live Writing Camp for grades four through six allows students to practice and learn more about composition, editing, and publishing. This class will be held through Zoom from June 29 through July 29. The group will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-3 p.m.
- Online LIVE Writing Camp (gr.7-9): The Online Live Writing Camp for grades seven through nine gives students the opportunity to enhance their writing skills through composition, editing, and publishing. It will be held on Zoom from June 30 to July 30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Creative Coding-LIVE Online: This camp is designed to allow students between third and fifth grade practice and enhance their coding skills through a creative outlet. They will be coding projects in art, music, and math. The camp will be held from July 6 through 10 on Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- Python Coding- LIVE Online: This camp is designed for students between sixth and eighth grade who have some coding experience already and want to gain more. Students will learn Python coding through puzzles and will create their own games. The camp will be held from July 6 through 10, Monday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m.
- College Reading Strategies- LIVE Online: This camp is for students in or entering high school who want to become better prepared for a high school workload or who want practice to boost their SAT or ACT scores. Students will learn reading skills that improve recall, comprehension, and speed. The camp will be held on Sundays from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. between July 18 and August 23.
- Online Money Club: The Online Money Club camp allows students between seventh and twelfth grade to engage in live, online discussions and activities to prepare for the responsibilities that come with adulthood, especially financial ones. The camp runs from July 20 through the 31 on Monday through Friday from 1-3 p.m.
The following camps will be offered in person in July:
- Animation Camp: This camp allows for students between third and eighth grade to explore the basics of animation. They will create their own characters and animate them through code, as well as build a portfolio of animated games, cartoons, and music videos. The camp will be held from June 29 to July 3, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- Safari Camp Robotics: The Safari Camp Robotics camp is a programming and robotics camp for students between first and sixth grades. The camp’s material is designed around nature, though, meaning students will be exploring these topics through the work of the most ingenious engineer of all time: Mother Nature. They will program, build and explore robot models of various animals. The camp will be held from July 6 through 10 on Monday through Friday from 12 to 3 p.m.
- Space Camp Robotics: The Space Camp Robotics camp allows for students between first and sixth grade to build and program LEGO®models from space that are real or in movies. The camp will be held from July 13 through 17 on Monday through Friday from 12-3 p.m.
- Machine Lab Camp: The Machine Lab Camp is an engineering camp designed for students between first and sixth grade. Students will learn about simple machines, as well as design and build their own creations with LEGO® bricks. The camp is held from July 20 through 24, Monday through Friday from 12-3 p.m.
- Advanced Reading Skills Camp: This camp is for students between 7 and 12 grades who want to improve their reading skills of recall, comprehension, and speed. It prepares students for a high school workload and can help boost ACT or SAT scores. The camp will be held from July 21 through 30 on Tuesday through Thursday from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Fraction Action (Gr. 3-6): This class helps students between grades three and six further develop their skills through confidence building exercises. This camp will go from June 29 to July 2 between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. each day.
- City Bots Camp: The City Bots Camp is an engineering camp for students between first and fourth grade. Students will use LEGO® to build robots and technologies that improve daily life, such as airplanes, windmills or forklifts. It will be held from July 6-9 on Monday through Thursday from 1-3 p.m.
- Pre-Algebra Math Edge Camp: The Pre-Algebra Math Edge Camp is for students between fifth and seventh grade. It is designed to help students get a better grasp on the confidence and critical skills needed to master pre-algebra. It will run from July 13 through 16, Monday through Thursday from 1-3 p.m.
- Math Facts Camp: For students from first to fourth grade, the Math Facts Camp is designed to enhance fluency in either addition and subtraction or multiplication and division skills. It will run from July 20-23, Monday through Thursday 1-3 p.m.
- Back to School Boot Camp: This camp is for students entering or already enrolled in middle school (from fifth through eighth grade) to help them better prepare for the increased responsibilities and workload that middle school brings. The camp meets from July 27 through 30, Monday through Thursday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- College Reading Strategies: The College Reading Strategies camp is for students who are entering or already in high school (grades 9-12). Students will become more prepared for a high school workload and will enhance reading skills such as speed, comprehension, and recall that can help boost their ACT or SAT scores. It will be held from July 13 until July 17 on Monday through Friday from 1-3:30 p.m..
- Writing Rhythms: This camp is for students between sixth and eighth grade, designed to enhance their writing skills. Students will explore multiple different genres of writing and build their own portfolio. It is held from July 20 through July 24 on Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m..
- The Space Camp Robotics camp allows for students between first and sixth grade to build and program LEGO®models from space that are real or in movies. The camp will be held from July 27 through 31 on Monday through Friday from 12-3 p.m.
- College Reading Strategies: This camp will be held from July 27-31 on Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m
Additional camps will be offered in August. To learn more and register for these camps or camps later in the Summer, go to /locations.sylvanlearning.com/us/anderson-sc/schedules (Anderson), /locations.sylvanlearning.com/us/greenville-sc/schedules (Greenville), or /locations.sylvanlearning.com/us/spartanburg-sc/schedules (Spartanburg)
About Sylvan Learning Center:
With more than 40 years of experience and more than 750 points of presence throughout the world, Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of personal learning for students in grades K-12. Sylvan is transforming how students learn, inspiring them to succeed in school and in life. Sylvan’s proven tutoring approach blends amazing teachers with SylvanSync™ technology on the iPad® for an engaging learning experience. Sylvan also leads the way with Sylvan EDGE—STEM and accelerated courses and Sylvan Prep —college and test prep courses. Sylvan supports families through every stage of the academic journey. For more information, visit www.SylvanLearning.com or SylvanLearning.com/blog.