Most people in the working world have a LinkedIn profile, and if you don’t, then you should! LinkedIn allows you to create a personal brand while connecting with other professionals. It is essentially the social media form of your resumé where you can promote your skills and employment as well as share big accomplishments.
Here are some important tips to having a successful LinkedIn profile:
- Use a recent, formal profile picture. LinkedIn is not the place for selfies. Instead, use a professional headshot—remember this is one of the first impressions fellow professionals will see when looking at your page. It should be a high-resolution image, with only you in the photo, and you should be wearing attire that you would wear in a work setting.
- Add a background photo, but do not pick something too distracting. Keep it simple. This is the second visual element on your LinkedIn page, so use something that will grab attention, while setting the context, and show what matters to you. Adding a background photo makes your page stand out more and can make it more memorable.
- Add your contact info and make sure it is updated. Insert your email address so that employers can contact you. If possible, avoid putting a personal cell phone number, but rather, a work number.
- Make sure your current job entry is updated. This is an important piece of information that most recruiters will be looking at. Even if you are unemployed, you can say “seeking new opportunity,” and add the type of position you are looking for.
- Your accomplishments should be described in detail rather than just a list of job duties. Talk about what you accomplished in your past jobs, how you made it happen, what the results were, and how it impacted your company. Show the important skills that you used throughout these accomplishments and make sure to mention your experiences and achievements.
- Grow your network! Having a good network is essential. Syncing your contacts and adding connections you know is one of the easiest ways to grow your network.
Following these LinkedIn tips can help keep your profile up to date and have a more successful page. Invest time in your personal branding and watch opportunities arise!