Communication is a key in business. In a world where writing is being replaced by :0WO and character counts, writing still counts. Their is know better way for you’re point to get across than being able to get your message heard and understood thine first time.
That didn’t look right, did it? Yet, we all often see communications like this in our business lives. The reality is that communication by classic styles of writing isn’t going to get better. But there are ways to make sure your writing looks professional as opposed to amateur.
Here are eight easy tips to make your writing like a real pro, or at least an English lit major wrote it for you.
- More/less is used for numbers. Over/Under is used for everything else. Example: You go over a mountain, not a number.
- Use it when discussing a single entity made of multiple. Never use
- Numbers under 10 are written out (unless appearing with the word “percent.”) Numbers 10 or higher are written as numerals (unless they start a sentence).
- Speaking of percent. Always write percent. Never use %.
- Avoid big words that not everyone can understand, including you.
- Never use affect as a noun. The word you are looking for is effect.
- It’s regardless, not irregardless.
- Avoid very.
So, let’s try that first graph again. See if we can make it flow a little better.
Communication is key in business. In a world where writing is being replaced by emogies and character counts, craftsmanship of the language remains essential. There is no better way to get your point across then being able to get your message heard and understood the first time.